Sunday, June 9, 2013

Websites, Wikis and Webliographies......Oh My!

A whirlwind week full of new technology experiences, learning how to use new tools, exploring possible websites for future classrooms and creating a personalized website to assist us with next semester's student teaching.

For me, one of the most standout moments from last week was our visit from Dr. McCammon and Ms. Gimbar to tell us about the concept of flipping a classroom and how Ms. Gimbar has successfully been able to completely flip her middle school mathematics classroom.  
The concept and idea truly fascinate me as a future teacher, however, as a future Elementary School teacher I am still unsure as to how the concept of flipping a classroom would work in an Elementary setting.  I would love to see it in action as I have several questions about what the difference between using technology in the classroom and completely flipping the classroom would be.  I will admit that it seems a bit overwhelming to think of placing all lessons online but possibly starting out with videos offering remediation or extension for students could be a start.

I have also enjoyed learning more about various websites and apps that are available to educators.  Anna Dodd's presentation of Toontastic had me going home and engaging in the app with my own children.  I could see this app being a great tool for all students to use; especially ESL students who may feel more comfortable speaking over writing assignments.  The website can be accessed here: http://launchpadtoys.com/toontastic/ or by visiting Anna's blog: http://learningtoknowtocreate.blogspot.com/



Another great website, that I have yet to personally explore, is Glogster http://www.glogster.com/.  I enjoyed Caroline's presentation and see this tool as a great way for student's to present book reports, conclude literature circles or even share information related to a Science or Social Studies topic.  I am looking forward to the other presentations and learning about more websites that can be incorporated into the classroom.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Julie--I was also interested in learning about the flipped classroom; however, I would have liked to actually see a video of a class in session. I got the sense that the students worked in groups, and that she was better able to assess who needed more guidance since the students had already seen the videos. Still, the details were not clear to me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Julie.

    I love the title of this post! I agree with your comments and those of San Fran.

    For your final 2 posts, I'd love to see you add some additional features to you blog, such as live links (i.e. to Toontastic & Anna's blog) and images (such as a screen shot of a Toontastic image).

    Regards,
    JMG

    ReplyDelete